Thursday, January 06, 2011

JOSÉ VILLACÍS

For matters private, I do not read contemporary literature in either language. Today´s novel does not whet my cultural or aesthetic appetite. The classics are still there, time-proven, time-tried and, better still, timeless... So why venture, tread, into the unknown? Why waste my limited attention span on starting authors who have yet to prove themselves and their value? I hold steadfast to my beliefs... but -luckily- now and then, just to see what´s going on around me, I open a new publication.
I chanced upon NO VOLVERÉ by José Villacís, a Spaniard and academic, and I leafed through this novel and what I read here and there made me go to the beginning pages and breeze through it. Academics are usually prigs who write for other prigs. This is not the case here, God be praised! I recommend this work of fiction to the American bilingual discerning reader who will have a taste of excellent contemporary Spanish narrative.
José Villacís, NO VOLVERÉ, (Madrid: Entrelineas, 2010).

No comments: