Thursday, November 30, 2006

Fernando Arrabal

Fernando Arrabal was just named "Chevalier de la Légion d'honneur" in Paris. And I am very, very happy about it because it says a lot about the standing of France and Arrabal, both. Great country and great writer. Also because we correspond now and started doing so years ago when I was teaching at Franklin and Marshall College in Lancaster, Pa. and he was almost a nobody (although he was mentioned by Martin Esslin in his "The Theater of the Absurd", a must). Congratulations Monsieur Arrabal... happy to hear about it.

1 comment:

Marynnunez said...

Never in my whole life have I heard or read a single passing comment on this "phenomenum" that is no doubt one of the most shocking, pathetical and disarming things we may come across in our social life. So, thank you for doing it now so accurately.Talk about tennis: they have had a private teacher when they were just little kids, never miss a Wimbledon, etc final. Plumbing: They could solve the pipework of the Empire state with just a look at the building map. Hunting? They are experts in balistics. (Of course they have, no licence fortunately and the nearest they have been to a hunting party was whenever thay watched a film about safaris). Besides their incapacity and lack of humility to admit their utter inculture, they try to test their oponents´ courage, wisdom and politeness by "outknowing" them. Do you know how I deal with these scum when I can´t ignore them and I am forced to listen to them? I check my talent as an actress and lend them my most interested eye and ear, feigning the utmost admiration while I ask them risky questions that only expose them more and more to the rest of the audience. Invariably, someone decides that he or she has had enough of nonsense and dismiss the "allknowing" with a "I didn´t have an idea you were such an expert" full of disdain and mockery. At this, they stop talking bewildered by the comment they don´t know how to take.