Saturday, April 10, 2010

Vila-Matas, Joyce and Dublin.

Ana Tarrat was telling me about her trip to Dublin over the Easter holiday and per usual one thing led to another and I mentioned Enrique Vila-Matas's new novel Dublinesca, about this publisher who visits the capital of Ireland to pay some sort of a tribute to James Joyce... and here's the rub: she had never heard of James Joyce or his novel. That raised some red flags in my tiny brain. A college educated Spaniard didn't know about one of the most popular books of the 20th century. So I also asked Antonio Raimondo who confirmed that the author of Ulysses was also unknown to him. And I asked many more... and the result was the same. I bring this up because I find it so shocking... Such discoveries make me falter. Also, does Vila-Matas speak English that well to plunge into Ulysses and Dublin and the leprechaun culture? I guess he does.

No comments: