Sunday, June 03, 2007

Madrid Book Fair

Spanish publishers are whiners at heart. They are for ever lamenting the fact that Spaniards do not read, and buy, naturally, few books, in spite of the fact that over 70,000 new titles come out every year in this small country of only 44 million people. No small feat! Yet... yesterday I went to the Retiro Park to visit the Book Fair... throngs made it difficult to walk or see, let alone peruse the books that filled the booths (over 400, I think) of different publishers and bookstores. This should give the lie to all those whiners, I think!!
It was a joy, almost bliss, to walk among people of like tastes as mine!
I went to visit Fernando Sánchez Dragó (check his website and blog) and bought his latest title: Libertad, fraternidad, desigualdad. I had to wait in line in order to have the book signed.
I missed Lorraine there, but I knew she was lurking around in spirit, on a quick visit from Naples, Florida. And she whispered in my ear... words of yesteryear.
I just thought I would let you people in on this, just in case.

2 comments:

Lorraine C. Ladish said...

Of course I was there. Still am! Next year I will be signing another new book in El Retiro. I love the smell of newly bound ideas and the throngs of people on the weekends trying to get a glimpse of their favorite author. Ahh, the memories ..

Lorraine C. Ladish said...

You are invited to write a meme:
8 things about yourself! Google the meaning of meme in blogspeak.
:)